Roland Park Place, Baltimore, MD (10/2015-April 2017), Communications Coordinator, part-time.
- Lead Communications and design for Baltimore’s premier retirement community as ranked by US News and World Reports.
- Lead, suggested and developed the complete overhaul and redesign of Roland Park Place’s not-for-profit’s digital site and social media pages. I collaborated with organization leaders, residents and local designers to come up with a launch plan. The redesign resulted in a 20 percent increase in web traffic from across the country.
- Thoroughly and accurately researched the creation of a senior living online communication portal to help older adults access Roland Park Place information online. Launched in January (2016), the news source had 95 percent usability among residents within 12 months. The success came from working collaboratively with designers, residents, consultants and staff. This past November, we expanded the portal to include family members wanting to know more about where their senior loved ones live.
- Suggested and developed original, authoritative investigative stories on aging issues with local regional reporters. Working in partnership with local reporters, Roland Park Place became actively involved in stories on agism, investigational reports and tips about healthy aging. This resulted in the organization’s mission and experts being placed in the media over 100 times.
- Developed partnerships Johns Hopkins University and the Baltimore Department of Health to help create data-driven databases about senior living. As a result, Roland Park Place received numerous awards such as the 2016 Baltimore Mayor’s Business Recognition Award for its work in the community. We also won numerous digital arts grants like the Be Here Baltimore Storytelling Award.
ABC2 News, Baltimore, MD (March 2014-May 2015), Digital Journalist.
- Suggested, developed and investigated digital pieces for station website, specializing in long-form articles such as Baltimore health hazards, environmental issues and abuses of power. Continued work resulted in state leaders introducing legislation on gun control as well as debate on Maryland’s launching of its state healthcare plan.
- Lead stories using FOIA or the Freedom of Information Act to analyze evidence. In 2015, I successfully produced over a dozen stories using FOIA requests, which brought attention to gun control and the Maryland Health Exchange.Collaboratively worked with ABC2 data team and editors to package FOIA information for digital publishing. These weekly collaborations had my stories ranked most popular among users visiting the station site and social media pages.
- Partnered with broadcast reporters to develop interactive graphics for stories, expert in Facebook and Twitter platforms. The collaboration lead to workshops in-house for reporters to learn how to digitally package stories.Developed award-winning stories on topics including health hazards, the environment, human rights, financial fraud, cyber-security and abuse of power.
Developed a long list of trusted and developed sources on city, state and national levels. These established sources assisted in providing further research and story topics for other reporters on ABC2 news staff.
Produced single day turn stories when placed on breaking news shifts. Wrote quickly, with clarity and authority often about complex matters. Collaborated with assignment editors to ensure digital stories could also work for television.
Collaborated across business lines including broadcast and marketing to get digital content sponsored and packaged across different platforms. A collaboration between all departments on a series of stories about organ transplant lead to high webviews and increased funding for local nonprofits.
Capital Gazette Newspapers, Annapolis, MD (March 2012- March 2014) Journalist.
- Investigated enterprise pieces for the daily newspaper organization. Reporting efforts leads to state changes in rape cases and brought attention to the importance of victim safety in domestic violence cases.
- Proposed and lead development of original stories by using the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and state public records to obtain government records and regulatory reports. Working with designers and copy editors, we developed award winning content about the shortfalls of the state’s incarceration system.
- Fact-checked projects prior to publication, wrote and reported long-term and shorter turnaround investigative stories. A collaboration with two other reporters and federal level officials about drunk driving in Maryland lead to a first place award for investigative reporting.
- Conducted over 200 on-the-record interviews and attended meetings with high level state leaders sources while maintaining confidentiality for sensitive information.
- Created new interactive graphics for stories, expert in Facebook and Twitter platforms.
- Collaborated as needed with other English language journalists. As a result, Capital Gazette saw an increase in awards for investigative reporting.
Dundalk Eagle, Baltimore, MD (June 2009-March 2012) Journalist.
- Suggested, developed, and investigated enterprise pieces for weekly paper that told many kinds of stories ranging from local election corruption to the closing of the Bethlehem Steel Plant in Baltimore, Md.
- Conducted on-the-record interviews and attended meetings with community state and federal officials. Was able to develop a full list of confidential sources during first year at publication.
- Thoroughly researched information and turned complex subject matters into easily digestible content.
- Assisted with layout of weekly publication to help increase readability for publication. Worked with staff to take graphics and translate them from print to digital. During my time there, I worked collaboratively with editors to establish a style guide still in use in 2016.
- Managed paperʼs social media ventures, including Facebook and Twitter.
- As a result of reporting at the Dundalk Eagle, the publication saw an increase in web traffic thanks to Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Buffalo News, Buffalo, NY (2005-2006) Reporter Assistant.
- Coordinated on-the-record interviews with New York government officials.
- Developed strong contacts within the Senate and House of Representatives.
- Maintained digital databases for research.
- Worked closely with designers, investigative editor and copywriters to keep story production focused.
- Independently verified and fact-checked stories prior to publication with sources.
Peace Corps, Irbid, Jordan, (2006-2008) Community Organizer.
- Worked across language barriers and the public sector to establish better cross-cultural relationships between USA and Jordan.
- Collaboratively with host nationals and government officials developing English curriculum in summer camp programs for Iraqi refugees.
- Oversaw the planning and building of a new computer lab for my villageʼs secondary school. Plan was successful thanks to continued partnerships with Jordanian host nationals. Use Arabic language skills to help broker changes.
- Helped set up and establish grants to help pregnant women receive prenatal care
- Became proficient in Arabic language through intense classes and cultural integration. The language helped me communicate needs and assess what improvements could be made in my post.
- Set up and established grants to help pregnant women receive prenatal care working with Jordanian doctors and nurses.
Master of Fine Arts, Publications Design. University of Baltimore, Graduation, May 2013.
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism. University of Maryland, College Park, Graduation, May 2006.
Photography, Video Creation, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Indesign, WordPress, Arabic Language, Search Engine Optimization, Microsoft Office, HTML, CSS, Social Media, Freedom of Information Act, data analyst,
Four time winner, Maryland/Delaware/DC Press Awards
Presidentʼs Citation for Community Service